Monday, June 15, 2020

Don't miss the view

I woke early and hopped on my bicycle, barefoot, and pedaled over to the beach in the first rays of the morning light. Pinks, oranges, and purples danced across the water's surface. Sea gulls flocked together on the shore and sat silently looking seaward, dreaming of discarded sandwiches and half-empty bags of chips. A lone heron stood on one foot, stately and elegant, and a silvery fish jumped with a splash.The waves rolled in gently and the breezes whispered promises of peace and hope. Early mornings on the beach are the stuff dreams are made of.
That is, if you look past the trash strewn across the sand, remnants of yesterday's revels. Broken glass, empty soda cans, bags of garbage, diapers, broken chairs, plastic sand toys, dismantled canopies, busted umbrellas, fast food wrappers, grocery bags, cigarette butts, and oh, those plastic water bottle lids by the dozens.
Here's a thing I was thinking about. If I only focused on the garbage, and believe me, there was a LOT, and reflected on what kind of people would leave such a mess, the whole beach experience would be pretty crappy. I could get on social media and yell about it, criticize, and make snide remarks, making it clear I am not "these type of people", and how the world is going to h-e double hockey sticks because of it. I could pretend "it's my duty to inform you" of how degenerate people are and describe in detail their dastardly ways so you, too, can jump on my bandwagon. I could word my posts in such a way which breeds fear and panic about how polluted our world is, where no one would ever want to venture out to that dangerous, scary place called the beach again.
But look at this picture. Despite the messiness, the vista was breathtaking.
With a focus bent on the negative, I could have missed it.
Or, I could consider a different perspective. I could shake my head, then get busy picking up some trash. It's not fun. It's actually kind of gross. It hurts my back a little, too. But doable. Instead of scorning "them", I could choose to offer forgiveness to those who don't know better (or maybe do and make a choice to care about things different from me). And all the while, soak in the stunning beauty which surrounds me.
Every day we read and watch nothing but negative behaviors on our news feeds. There's some pretty awful stuff going on, hurtful and shocking and scary. Is it tainting your view of all humans? Of our country? Of this world?
And what are you doing about it? Are you helping pick up the broken pieces during these crazy times, or just kicking them around, making an even bigger mess?
I know, the trash is real, and it's ugly. And there are dangers associated with it, and things are not as we'd like them to be, and we're scared. But try to keep living, humanely, despite it all. It's easy to kick around the anger, fear, and worry, spreading it to everyone you know. It's harder to bend down and pick it up, and put it in its place.
If you feel at a loss as to what you can do to help in these unsettling times, consider picking up some of the residue left by others who are hurting, angry, and struggling. Grab a bag and carry it for them, and find a place to discard it, even if you don't think they deserve it. Maybe it comes in the form of sending encouraging words in a text. Maybe send some money anonymously to help someone who is struggling financially. Maybe share a positive post. Maybe make someone laugh. Maybe let them know you value them. Maybe share a meal, send a gift card, or ask someone how they are doing, and take time to really listen. Discover their needs, their fears, their dreams, and figure out how to help clean up the mess. Because we all end up in messes sometimes. And we all need others to help when we find ourselves in that messy place.
And while you're doing that, look up.The sunrise is amazing. Sure, these days you have to look a little harder to see it, but it's there, every morning, the dawning of a new day. So lift up your eyes and look from the place where you are, to the north, and to the south, and to the east and to the west. You won't want to miss the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment